- 2.5 Gallon Units
- 12.5 Gallon Units
- Water clear and Superior UV resistance
- Very Good chemical and abrasion resistance
- Low Odor even with Viscosity Reducer added
- Viscosity can be changed in the field per the job needs using P50/P100 Viscosity Reducer
- Single coat high build capabilities – apply at up to 20 mils per coat
- Zero reportable HAPS even with Viscosity Reducer
- Formulated for longer working time for installations between 70°-90°F and/or higher humidity environments
- Can be tinted with ROCK-TRED Universal Colorants EXCEPT VELVET and LIGHT BLUE.
- Colorant loading is one 1.5 Colorant Jar (1/2 BagPak of Colorant) per 2.5 gallon mix
CHEM-THANE P50 is a water clear, 2-component, 85% solids modified aliphatic / polyaspartic floor coating that combines the best attributes of high grade epoxy and urethane products. CHEM-THANE P50 offers the highest UV resistance available, remains flexible over time and has very good abrasion and chemical resistance. CHEM-THANE P50 has very low reportable VOCs, zero HAPS and meets all USDA/FDA guidelines for use in federally inspected facilities.
Uses & Typical Coverage
As a BODY or FINISH coat: CHEM-THANE P50 is an excellent non-yellowing, body or finish coat for any ROCK-TRED floor or wall coating system. This coating is specially formulated to have extended working time in warmer temps (70°- 90°F) and/ or more humid environments. Typical coverage per coat is from 80 sq. ft. /gal. (20 mils) to 150 sq. ft. / gal. (11 mils). For a lower viscosity you may add up to 6 oz. P50/P100 Viscosity Reducer per mixed gallon of CHEM-THANE P50.
As a PRIMER coat: CHEM-THANE P50 can be used as a fast setting, direct to prepared concrete, water clear primer. No additional Viscosity Reducer is needed to use CHEM-THANE P50 direct to prepared concrete.
|Volume mix ratio||1.5 to 1 (Resin to Hardener)|
|Viscosity (mixed)||550 – 750 CPS Typical|
|Solids Content (%)||85% (ASTM D-2697)|
|Hardness (ASTM D-2440)||70 (Shore D) @ 7 day cure|
|VOC||0.79 g/l (EPA method 24)|
|Application Temps.||50° – 90°F|
|Gel Time (see “Limitations” section below for more details)||40 - 60 minutes @ 75°F|
|Dry to Touch (recoat with compatible products)||30 – 45 minutes @ 75°F|
|Through Cure||2.5 – 3 hours @ 75°F|
|Open for light traffic/use||24 hours @ 75°F|
|Shelf Life||1 Year in unopened units|
Limitations & For Best Results
- May be thinned with up to 6 oz. P50/P100 Viscosity Reducer per mixed gallon CHEM-THANE P50. Adding Viscosity Reducer will lower the viscosity and slightly increase the odor during cure, but will not alter the reportable VOC content. Adding Viscosity Reducer will slightly slow the cure time, but will not change the performance characteristics of the cured material.
- Do not apply when humidity exceeds 80%.
- Do not allow to puddle during application.
- Allow each coat to dry to ‘tack-free’ or clear prior to recoat
- When re-coating, apply the next coat within 24 hours of completing the previous coat.
- Mix on very low RPM or using a stir stick for 45-60 seconds. DO NOT INTRODUCE ANY AIR.
- When possible, squeegee on the shorter length of the room and immediately back roll in one pass in the opposite direction to strike off. Thickness of application should be controlled by the squeegee. Do not rely on back roll to eliminate puddles. Do not over back-roll as this will entrain air.
- Gel time listed above for this product should not be confused with working time – actual working time is typically 15-20 minutes at 75°F and 45% RH when no Viscosity Reducer has been added.
Apply by brush, roller and squeegee. 12” squeegees are recommended to help reduce pooling. Unlike epoxy coatings P50 has a longer “pot life” in the bucket and a shorter working time after it is poured onto the substrate. For best results installation crews must work closely together and pour out only enough catalyzed material that can be cut in, squeegeed and quickly back rolled before it starts to gel. Temperature and humidity will both increase how rapidly this material sets. When working on extremely warm or humid job sites smaller mixes thinned with the maximum amount of Viscosity Reducer are recommended. ROCK-TRED product test data is based on environmental temperatures of 75°F. Viscosity and working time are always affected by temperatures above or below that mark. When applying product – always consider the ambient, surface, and product temperature at the time and place of installation.
Color and Textures
CHEM-THANE P50 is manufactured in water clear. Using a 1.5 Jar (equal to 1/2 of one BagPak) of any ROCK-TRED UNIVERSAL Colorant per 2.5 gallon mix is acceptable except for VELVET or LIGHT BLUE – do not use VELVET or LIGHT BLUE with CHEM-THANE P50. Most ROCK-TRED products are available in a wide range of textures using an appropriate aggregate
Always refer to ROCK-TRED’s chemical resistance chart for specific information on each product / system or contact ROCK-TRED directly.
DO NOT allow ROCK-TRED products to freeze. All ROCK-TRED products should be properly stored above the floor on pallets or shelves, and in an area that has a constant minimum temperature of 50°F.
Always apply ROCK-TRED products to a clean / sound substrate that is free of laitance, grease, oils, debris, and curing compounds. Concrete substrates should be cured for a minimum of 28 days prior to application of product [except as otherwise noted on the individual Product Data Sheet. Whenever possible, remove existing coatings and/or flooring systems completely; if complete removal is not possible always perform tests to determine adhesion and compatibility to the existing flooring. Mechanical preparation by means of a diamond grinding or shot-blasting machine to a minimum CSP-2 profile followed by application of CHEM-THANE P50 or another appropriate ROCK-TRED primer or base system is the best and recommended installation method for CHEM-THANE P50 applications. If the substrate is not properly prepared and the appropriate profile is not achieved, failure of the product to adhere to the substrate may occur.
Application tools and equipment can be cleaned with soap and water immediately after use, or with solvent once the product has begun to cure.
Product containers will contain product residue and must be disposed of properly. Label warnings must be observed at all times. All containers must be disposed in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Always read and acquaint yourself with ROCK-TRED’s Product Data Sheet, SDS [safety data sheet], and product labels for each individual product prior to mixing and prior to use. For further assistance, product questions, additional information and/or unexpected or unusual installation conditions – contact your Area Sales Representative or ROCK-TRED directly for recommendations. Kit components are pre-measured for optimal performance. Catalyzation errors due to incorrect mixing in the field voids product warranty.